At Mediobanca we take care of our surroundings, right down to the smallest detail. Our group’s historic buildings are testimony to this, blending tradition, history and a focus on our clients.
We have three representative offices in Italy: two in Milan and one in Rome. Piazzetta Cuccia, Milan, is home to the historic headquarters of Mediobanca – where the group was founded in 1946 – and also holds the Vincenzo Maranghi archive. We also have an office in Rome on Piazza di Spagna, in a palazzo known until the early 1900s as the “Hôtel de Londres”.
PALAZZO VISCONTI-AJMI: MEDIOBANCA’S HEADQUARTERS IN MILAN
Palazzo Visconti-Ajmi has been Mediobanca’s headquarters since its foundation on 10 April 1946. The origins of the building date back to 1589-1599, when Giuseppe Archinto acquired the land there to build an aristocratic residence. Over the years, the palazzo passed first to the Riva family, then to the Visconti, the Visconti Ajmi and finally the Turati, undergoing work, expansion and restoration many times. The last of such projects was initiated by Fausto Bagatti-Valsecchi who, in the late 1800s, ordered a neo-Renaissance style restoration.
In 2000, the small square in front of the palazzo was dedicated to Enrico Cuccia, founder and general manager of the group, further entwining the building’s history with that of Mediobanca.
PALAZZO DEL TEATRO DEI FILODRAMMATICI: “VINCENZO MARANGHI” HISTORICAL ARCHIVE
Our Archive is located in the Palazzo del Teatro dei Filodrammatici (“The Filodrammatici Theatre”), completed in the year 1800 within the deconsecrated 14th century church of San Damiano alla Scala. The palazzo was rebuilt by Mediobanca in 1970 when the bank transferred some of its offices there.
"HÔTEL DE LONDRES": MEDIOBANCA’S HEADQUARTERS IN ROME
Mediobanca acquired this building in 1995 from Banca Commerciale Italiana – BCI, having been home to our Rome office since 1954. Previously the palazzo was known as the "Hôtel de Londres”, which is even mentioned by Alexandre Dumas in “The Count of Montecristo”. But the building’s origins go back much further: the remains of a Roman domus have been found beneath its courtyard.